Monday, February 15, 2010

Look busy???




We traveled over the weekend to Gatlinburg with my parents. It was a wonderful weekend! Gatlinburg is one of my favorite places. It just happened to have snowed there so it was especially nice this weekend! You know how I love the snow. :)

On the way to Gatlinburg, we passed through some beautiful little Kentucky towns. One of the things I love to see on these trips are the little country churches. Well, as we are passing through one of these small towns, I see one of these churches and the sign catches my eye.



That saying on that sign so disturbed me that I thought about it often while on the trip. It so bothered me that on the way back through, I told Doug I needed a picture because I had to write about some of the things I felt about it. Plus, I'd love to hear what some of you think. This one little saying sparked much conversation in the car between the four of us. Then, when we got home, our family (Doug, Brooke, Blake, Cody, Dale, and I) talked about it and how it applies to us, our church, our family, our community, and so on.

My first thought was, "How sad!" I can't imagine living life and NOT believing in a sovereign God...a God that KNOWS everything...a God that knows what I'm doing and when I'm doing it. I instantly had a picture of my students at school who think I can't hear them when I step into the hallway to speak to a student or parent. When they think I'm coming back into the room, I hear them say, "She's coming. Shhhh...get to work!" This sign has the same sense of "We better look and act like we're doing something so we don't get caught not working." I am saddened to think that people who claim to be Christians really believe that God does not know what they are NOT doing or what they ARE doing?

Another thought was that there are many people or churches that look busy, and actually are 'busy' when you take a look at all the activities on their schedules. But what is that busy-ness leading to? Is it something that brings Glory to God? Is it something that is helping to fulfill the Great Commission? Or is it something that simply makes them feel or look busy?

My prayer is that the message on the sign is just a matter of mixed up words. After all, it is true that faith without works is dead, according to James 2:17. However, I also pray that God will open eyes and hearts to His sovereignty.

18To those who keep His covenant
And remember His precepts to do them.
19The LORD has established His throne in the heavens,
And His sovereignty rules over all.
20Bless the LORD, you His angels,
Mighty in strength, who perform His word,
Obeying the voice of His word!

Have a blessed, snowy day!
Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment