Monday, January 16, 2012

Cody (Part 3)

If you haven't read Part 1 go here first.  Part 2 is here.

As you can tell from the previous posts, God has definitely had His hand on Cody even before birth!  Truly, God had chosen Cody even before the foundations of the earth to use for His glory!  You would think that the stories previously told would be enough.  But God had other plans for Cody and still does!

About a year ago, Cody came to me after youth group one Wednesday night and told me that he had been saved.  This was a little bit of a shock for me because I truly had believed he had been saved as a young child.  Looking back I realize that was just a Momma wanting to believe her son was saved.  (There's a story here about our other boys, too.  That will have to wait for another time.)  He poured out his heart to me.  God was speaking to Cody in big ways, yet quiet ways.  This time, it wasn't a wish or a hope.  This time Cody was a different young man!  He changed who he spent most of his time with.  He changed his attitude.  He changed how he approached situations.  Well, let's be real here...God changed these things in Cody!  Cody was living to serve his Savior! 

During the summer of last year, our church held its annual Jeru missions focus where we do different types of community projects and block parties...missions right in our backyard!  I happened to be in school training during that week.  I knew all 3 boys were working on Jeru projects.  They were all passionate about participating.  As I sat in a training class at my school, my phone buzzed.  I looked and saw that it was Doug and knew that he wouldn't call unless something was wrong.  His voice sounded shaky.  He went on to tell me that Cody had been hit across the face with a shovel during some landscaping work.  Okay...pause here.  A shovel across the face...I don't know about the images that popped into your mind, but the images I saw that day in my head were horrific! 

Doug told me that Cody was on his way to the ER with the youth minister.  I told him I'd be right there.  Oh wait...my car was at my dear friend's house where Brooke was babysitting for the most amazing baby ever!  (I'm a little partial to the sweet boy!)  Jayne (mom of the sweetest baby) came out to check on me and we both left in a hurry to take me to get my car.  We prayed on the way.  I prayed all the way to the ER. 

The shovel had gone right across Cody's nose...right between his eyes!  However, it was a cut that only needed a few stitches.  His nose was not broken.  His eyes were fine!  He didn't have a concusion!  Once again, God had protected him.  That is just exactly the message Cody shared!  (After a little teasing of his cousin/friend who had whopped him across the face with the shovel.)  Cody went right back to the missions projects as soon as he left the ER.



Enough?  You would think!  However, just a few weeks ago, God once again displayed his mighty power in Cody's life.  We were home on a cold night.  Cody was in our bedroom with us talking about how bored he was.  (Famous last words.)  Doug suggested to Cody to go out and start burning the brush pile where Doug had been cleaning out our creek.  Within minutes...


BOOM!

The explosion we heard was so loud it sounded like someone standing in the room with us and shooting a gun.  Our house shook from that boom!  I yelled to Dougie that it had to be Cody!  I ran from my bedroom to our kitchen and Cody was already (within seconds) walking in through the back door.  Understand, our back door was quite some distance from where the fire was.  He was dazed and weak!  I got him on the ground to keep him from fainting.  Took his coat off him to see how badly burned he was.  His hair was black from being singed, as were his eyebrows and the rest of his facial hair.  His hand was badly burned and we could already see where blisters were forming.  When he coughed, we could smell smoke and...gasoline!  Yep...he had accidentally used gas instead of kerosene. 

He kept saying he would be fine.  He wanted to take a shower to get the burned hair off of him.  The smell of gas coming out when he coughed was most concerning to me along with his hand.  When he got out of the shower, his hand was hurting pretty bad and the corner of his eye was tender.  The smell of the burned hair and flesh still hung heavy in the air.  We headed for the ER.

When we arrived at the hospital, they immediately took him back to assess the burns and any other injuries.  Miraculously, let me repeat that...MIRACULOUSLY Cody's lungs were completely clear!  COMPLETELY CLEAR!  The burn around his eye was already feeling better.  However, his hand was hurting horribly.  They dressed the burn, gave him something for pain, and cleared him of all other injuries!  Praise the Lord! 



Yet again, God had protected Cody from what could have meant severe burns all over his body or even his death!  By the very next day, Cody's hand was already healing.  He didn't need pain medicine after that morning. 

Last summer God called Cody to full-time ministry!  While he is unsure of the exacts of it all, he is sure God has a plan for him to reach people with the Gospel!  I don't know what God's plans are.  But one thing I know for sure...


(One of Cody's senior pictures...taken by the VERY talented Rebekah Travis)


God has had his hand on Cody since before time.  He has protected him over and over from injury and death.  I'm looking forward to seeing all that God has in store for our Baby B--Cody!

How then will they call on Him in whom they have not believed? How will they believe in Him whom they have not heard? And how will they hear without a preacher?     Romans 10:14

Blessings,
Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment